Over the last 40 years laser therapy, has had thousands of studies documented to show the positive effects it has on different types of cells, tissues and disorders.
Photobiomodulation therapy (PBMT) is a form of light therapy based on the photochemical process called photobiomodulation (PBM). In photobiomodulation therapy, a light source is placed near or in contact with the skin and the light energy penetrates the skin reaching the mitochondria of damaged or diseased tissue leading to photobiomodulation. This process results in beneficial therapeutic outcomes such as the alleviation of pain, the regulation of inflammation, immunomodulation, and the promotion of tissue regeneration.
BENEFITS OF LASER THERAPY
• Deep, soothing laser therapy provides a drug-free option for enhanced patient care
• Effective relief of pain, inflammation, and swelling
• Extremely well tolerated by pets
• No known side effects
• May decrease the need for surgery and medications
• Reduces healing time
• Requires no sedation or clipping
• Quick to administer (approximately 3 to 6 minutes per area)
• Allows pet owners to be present and feel that they are participating in the healing process
CONDITIONS THAT MAY BENEFIT FROM LASER THERAPY:
• Inflammatory Conditions
• Tooth extraction pain relief
• Sprains, strains & fractures
• Post-surgical healing/pain relief
• Degenerative joint disease/arthritis
• Inflammatory bowel disease
• Periodontal disease
• Lick granulomas
• Geriatric care
• Hip dysplasia
• Feline acne
HOW IS THE TREATMENT GIVEN?
The laser light is delivered through a non-invasive handpiece over the affected area. Your pet will feel a gentle and soothing warmth as the handpiece is moved around and often many animals relax so much with this massage effect they can even fall asleep!
Dependent upon the animal and the condition the treatment times will vary from pet to pet. You will be able to stay with your pet during the treatment and will be provided with eye protection as will your pet if appropriate.
HOW QUICKLY WILL I SEE RESULTS?
You may see relief after the first treatment or as pain and inflammation are reduced. For example: better mobility for joint conditions, drying and healing of dermatological issues, faster healing for wounds and incisions, or your pet just seeming more relaxed and comfortable. For some conditions, a series of treatments may be necessary before you see results due to the severity or complexity of the condition. Each pet is different, and treatments are unique for your pet’s specific needs.
Contact us to find out how Laser Therapy could benefit your pet.